17 August 2017
Asureti (former Elizabetal) — the village is located on the right side of Asuretiskhevi river (tributary of Algeti river) 760-800 meters above sea level. Distance from Tetritskaro is 20 km and from Tbilisi – 29 km. by 2002 census, there’re 1237 people living in the village.
Asureti is an old Georgian village which became deserted in the XVIII century after enemy invasions. Russian occupants settled German colonists in the 20s of XIX century and established a German colony named Elizabetal as a foundation of their politics. The village maintained name Elizabetal till the 10s of XX century, then it returned its original name – Asureti. The village has a typical German architecture. There’s an old preserved German church which was built in 1871. German settlement existed here until 1941 when they were deported from Georgia by the order of Joseph V. Stalin. There is a German cemetary nearby. In 1941 part of Ambrolauri and Oni population were settled here.